About the theme
Each year the theme is chosen by the World Federation of the Deaf and all country members are encouraged to celebrate International Week of Deaf People in September.
This will be the first time that in Australia, National Week of Deaf People will align with the International Week of the Deaf dates!
This year the theme is "With Sign Language, Everyone is Included"
See picture for the key messages from the campaign by the World Federation of the Deaf.
Past themes have included:
- 2004 - Celebrating our International Deaf Community
- 2005 - Deaf People and Financial Access
- 2006 - Celebrating the Australian Deaf Community
- 2007 - Communicate IT
- 2008 - Living Auslan - Protecting the language of Deaf Community
- 2009 - Year of Reconciliation: Bringing us all together
- 2010 - Rapprochement of Cultures
- 2011 - From little things - Big things grow
- 2012 - Sign Bilingualism is a Human Right
- 2013 - Equality for Deaf People
- 2014 - Strengthening Human Diversity
- 2015 - With Auslan Rights, Deaf Children Can
- 2016 - With Auslan, I am equal!
- 2017 - Full Inclusion with Auslan!